Saturday 25 May 2019

Vintages, Saturday May 25th, 2019

Hey Fellow Wino's

I've got some new picks for you to try out from today's vintages release.

1. Blue Mountain Gold Label Brut Sparkling Wine, Okanagan Valley, B.C. at $29.95
One of the best bubbles made in Canada. Period. If you have never had this bottle of bubbles before, run, don't walk, as they will be sold out by Monday. Chill and sip with friends, no food required. FYI serving this wine at 3C fridge temperature is too cold, perhaps 7-10C would be more appropriate to really bring out the complexity of this beauty.

P.S. One of the most beautiful vineyards if you ever have a chance to visit.


The 2015 Vintage was pretty epic in Bordeaux (most of Europe actually) as it was warm in the summer and dry in the fall. This allowed for ripe fruit and good concentration (not watered down by rain). This Cabernet Sauvignon based blend from the left bank is sure to impress with its dark fruit complexity. Decant, serve with filet mignon at 18C. 


Those of you who have read my blog before know my love affair with Cru level Beaujolais. This is the S class of the perceived Kia range of wines, the elegant clown, the first class on a regional jet type of luxury. It may sound like I am putting this wine down, but it's actually quite the opposite. This decant worthy wine (even if only 20-30 minutes) paired with homemade burgers served at 15C always puts a smile on my face. If you have never had Cru level Beaujolais then, by all means, keep paying for first class fares but I'll stick with my premium economy seat wine such as this. Killer value Somm wine! You could almost say Cru level Beaujolais is like Pinot Noir from Burgundy without the price!?! 



This warm vintage Syrah from the northern Rhone will offer some ripe dark fruit like blackberry and blackcurrant with the traditional smokey and earthy notes from Crozes0Hermitage, perfect for grilled ribs. I'd decant perhaps 1 hour and serve at 18C. Don't be afraid to toss some fresh cracked pepper on the ribs, really bring out the pepper note in the Syrah. 

P.S. I'd put this wine in the decanter around 10C and by service time, it will have warmed up to a perfect 18C. 


They say the 2010 vintage in Bordeaux was one of the best and when you have a chance to buy some, you really should. This Cabernet Franc based wine is truly the epitome of gravitas and luxury. I actually have chills just thinking about this wine. This wine requires decanting so I'd decant for 1-2 hours and pair with a filet mignon topped with Saint Agur blue cheese, fingerling potatoes and grilled asparagus or green beans sauteed in butter. If you trust me, trust me on this one. Try it out and send me an email about how you didn't love it...I double dog dare you. Sante. 

P.S. Don't forget to dim the lights and light a candle, date night at it's finest. 
P.P.S. Please don't send me an email about what happened after dinner because of this wine. TMI. 



You don't have to be rich to live a rich life. 

Happy Sipping, 
The Flying Somm
Ryan Sullivan 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Vintages, Saturday May 25th, 2019

Hey Fellow Wino's I've got some new picks for you to try out from today's vintages release. 1.  Blue Mountain Gold Label Bru...