Tuesday 26 September 2017

Sipping in the Flight Levels...as a passenger

Hey, fellow wino’s it’s Ryan from the flight levels but before you panic, I’m on vacation sipping as a passenger. I’ve decided to do a write up on my two experiences of sipping wine in the flight levels while on vacation. I flew Porter Airlines (my airline) to Halifax earlier this summer and am now writing this literally while on a WestJet flight from Toronto to Kelowna.

I’d like to answer a question I’m often first asked before we dive in. People often wonder how an Airline Pilot can love wine so much and what are the rules on flying and alcohol. To start off the rules are set at the federal level for all pilots regardless of aircraft size or route. Transport Canada currently has an 8-hour restriction of no alcohol prior to flying. This might sound very minimal but it is intended for a glass of wine or beer with dinner the night before…not a wild night on the town. Most airlines and pilots impose even stricter limits on themselves because at the end the of the day safety is our first and foremost priority. Transport Canada is in the process of changing these rules from 8 to 12 hours “Bottle to Throttle” we usually say. I’m passionate about wine but even more so about aviation safety and never compromise or mix the two.


That said, I’m on vacation so let’s treat ourselves. I’m first going to write about my experience while on Porter from Toronto to Halifax. My partner Joseph and I were heading to the east coast for a few days of R&R and thought we would sample our wine onboard and attempt a review. On Porter Airlines, wine and beer are complimentary and served in real glass #KeepingItOldSchool. The white wine was a Jackson trigs Chardonnay, VQA Niagara Peninsula from 2016. On the visual a golden straw like a wheat field in the setting sun. The nose almonds, pineapple, melon, ripened yellow apple, brioche and leazzy notes. On the palate, it was smooth, round and refreshing. Translation lemon, pineapple, Asian pear with some wet stone on the mineral side of things and a tiny bit of butter which is from the oak. It had a lingering mineral finish and rate it as quite nice. The red wine was a Jackson Trigs Black Reserve Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon blend from 2015. Visually it was a dark shade of purple. On the nose ripe blackberry, blueberry, cedar and smoke. On the palate, it was quite dry, smooth with fig, plum, blackberry, berry compote, dried leaf with a medium tannin. Its finish was nice as it left me wanting more. Was the wine the best I’ve had? Hardly, but with some classy flight attendants who pour from full bottles into my actual glass and complimentary even though it’s a short domestic flight I’d say it’s a job well executed. Would it be nice to have some more options from France, Spain or Chile absolutely but again for short haul flying it goes above and beyond.





I’m currently now somewhere over Manitoba sipping a mini bottle of Tempranillo-Grenache from Spain on WestJet….I repeat WestJet not Air Canada first class. I’ve had the pleasure of flying Porter to many destinations and West Jet but the most surprising were WJ’s new wine selection. Visually the wine had a purple and ruby tinge to it. On the nose a little bit of red cherry and blackberry with some stewed plums. The palate had stewed cherries, plum, and cocoa with smooth tannins and some spices from the use of oak. The alcohol was 13% but it seemed a little stronger than that perhaps due to my less than a full stomach. West Jet is also offering a Cabernet Sauvignon from France, Chenin-Blanc and Chardonnay blend from South Africa, a Sauvignon Blanc from France and Prosecco from Italy for $6.99 each. I’m going to work my way onto the French Cabernet Sauvignon next but I’ll have to hail a flight attendant. I was pleasantly surprised at the effort from West Jet to add some options for their wine conscious consumers. I don’t really care for the small bottles nor the plastic cup but the fact that I’m sipping a Spanish blend over Manitoba does add a bit of context. Both of these wine experiences are hardly an aspiring sommeliers dream come true but again for economy type fairs flying domestically I was pleased.



While flying on an airplane at 25,000 or 35,000 FT the cabin altitude is around 8,000 FT. Aircraft cabins are dry, cozy in size and at the altitude of Everest base camp. This means that your palate can be dull and the requirement to drink more water than you think you should is all too important. Pairing wine in this challenging climate is difficult because since I can taste less fruit than there actually is the alcohol can seem a tad overwhelming in comparison. The real challenge is to find a few wines that you know millions of people will love. The whites have to be not too dry, not too sweet and the reds have to be flavorful without too much strength and tannin or too light and fruity. I think Porter has done a nice job with their selection because it really highlights our local wine talent. I also think West Jet was pleasantly surprising due to their international available selection.

If I had to choose I’d say Porter came out on top as the experience did have more refinement to it but they are both great in their own unique ways. I’ve had the pleasure of flying standby on several highly recognizable airlines and have been bumped up to first class much to my surprise. Airline Pilot's do have perks you know :P. If you ever have a chance to fly first class internationally (even if only on your honeymoon) and experience a chef tailored meal it's a memorable experience. 

Next time you fly, see if your taste buds seem a little dull by trying different snacks or wine compared to on the ground. You may be surprised at the difference.  

I see the flight attendant coming now so I better order my wine.

Happy Sipping from the flight levels...as a passenger,

Ryan Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vintages, Saturday May 25th, 2019

Hey Fellow Wino's I've got some new picks for you to try out from today's vintages release. 1.  Blue Mountain Gold Label Bru...